The warm weather we have all been looking forward to has finally made an appearance across Britain this week, and preparing your holiday home for the upcoming summer season is essential to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.
Static holiday homes and lodges can become uncomfortable if not correctly set up for warmer weather conditions. This is due to the smaller living environment; they may reach extremes of heat similar to that of a closed car if not well ventilated.
We’ve put together a handy guide for preparing your holiday home for the summer months, and some tips and hacks for during your stays.
Preparing your holiday home:
There are several different tasks you should undertake when returning to your holiday home for the summer if it has not been occupied during the winter months.
· Check the exterior of your home to ensure it’s in a good condition and report any worries to your park.
· Check for mould. This could have occurred during cold winter months when condensation can be an issue.
· Ensure your water and electric/gas supplies are connected and ready to use.
· Spring clean – tis the season!
Handy tips for during the summer months:
· Keep your windows open or on a latch to circulate air.
· Cook outdoors when you can and keep cooking inside to a minimum, as this can generate unnecessary heat.
· Invest in fans to place around your home to circulate cold air. A handy tip is to place a bucket of ice in front of your fan to create a homemade air conditioning unit; as the air passes over the ice, it will cool it further – very refreshing!
· Keep curtains and blinds closed as this will help to keep out the heat of the sun.
· Swap thicker winter duvets for a thinner option, a 4.5 tog is ideal for spring and summer.
· Consider your pets; do they have an adequately shaded area to rest, with access to cold water? Is their bed away from any windows or doors where it could be warm?
· Never lock your pet inside of your holiday home for any amount of time.
Now you have completed your pre-season checks and have a breadth of knowledge to take you through the season, you’re ready to enjoy your holiday home all summer long!